You probably know how your furry friend loves to eat everything and anything. But at one point or another, you will find him a bit fussy like a cat. Even after doing everything to get him notice his food, all your efforts remain futile. What should you do then when your little friend refuses what you’ve put in his food bowl? Should you look for other dog food brands or is a homemade dog food recipe the better choice?
When your pooch lazily goes to his feeding corner, sniffs at the bowl’s content and looks up at you with complete disinterest or worse, disgust, the very first thing that you should do is to void panicking and giving into the temptation of letting him resort to bad eating habits. The reason is simple: your kindness might end up killing your dog. While you might find it difficult to resist those big and pleading eyes, you have to remember that fussy eating is one problem you have to address right away, both for you and your pet’s sake.
As far as fussy eating is concerned, you have to keep in mind that it is not normal for a dog to starve himself simply because he is choosy about his food. A thin looking appearance is not a sign that something is wrong. Similar to humans, there are dogs that are thinner compared to others.
Avoid Bad Eating Habits
Most of the time, fussy eaters are not born but made instead. Dogs are famous for being smart and usually, they learned that the secret to enjoy hand feeding and getting plenty of attention is by making their owners worried. The more clever ones even know that by holding out long enough, there’s a chance for them to be fed with the tasty human food applying homemade dog food recipe.
To cure this fussy behavior, you have to determine the methods that encouraged it, whether on purpose or by accident. Also, your dog is probably having some extra meals from someone or somewhere. Check with the other family members, neighbors as well as the trash cans so that you will know why your pet leaves his dinner untouched.
How to Address the Picky Eaters?
Here are some of the things that you can do to cure your pet’s picky eating habit.
- If you have been hand-feeding or petting, stop this for a while.
- Try to gently warm wet food inside the microwave so that its delicious aromas will be released.
- Improve the sumptuousness of dry food through adding good quality of canned food or soak this in warm water.
- Try to experiment with a homemade dog food recipe that is tasty and delicious.
- Switch dog food brands if necessary. You can read online reviews to check the best option for the picky eaters.
- Try not to praise your pet when he eats and leave your offered food only for 15 minutes. Once it remains uneaten, put it away and offer a new fresh bowl after 12 hours. As long as there is food available two times every day, your fussy pet wouldn’t end up starving.
Giving in to your dog’s eating qualms can be tempting but it is best to teach him better habits for things to be easier on your part.